Monday, September 18, 2017

I'M IN THE GARDEN STATE

Friends! Family! Others! People roaming the interconnected web!
 
I am officially in New Jersey!! Woohooo! But while we were driving back to the mission home, I kept vocalizing some of my thoughts related to New Jersey and people were mocking me, so I figured I would share and then take a poll question at the bottom of whether or not I'm a weirdo for thinking these things. 
 
Wow, there are a lot of trees! Like, a LOT of trees, there are like legitimate forests on the side of the road. You can actually SEE the New York skyline from the freeway!! It is so beautiful! There is actually space in between houses?! There are actual front yards? And there aren't fences in the back yards? They just somehow know whose is whose and nothing is stopping people from just going and singing on your swing sets? And at night you can hear crickets!! Everywhere! You don't know where it's coming from but it's just a constant noise and its so crazy. And it is HUMID. The second you get off the plane, you can just feel it. Anyways, that concludes this episode of "Teenage Girl Who Has Lived on the West Coast Her Entire Life Tries Living on the East Coast for a Year and a Half".
 
Sadly, I don't have a lot of time to write this email, so I just wanted to share some thoughts. I am SO excited and feel so honored for the opportunity that I have to dedicate this short part of my life to the Lord. I can't even begin to describe the true joy that the past few weeks have given me. As I have drawn closer to my Savior and my Heavenly Father, my life has fallen into place. The more I rely on the Him, the less I worry about the little things life throws at me, and I have felt so much peace and love because of that. 
 
I love what I am doing. I love serving a mission. I have been so blessed and I can't wait to find people who are searching for this happiness in their own lives. This gospel is so cool and literally life changing you guys!! 
 
Sorry this letter isn't as humorous as some of my past ones, but I guess when you don't have much time to write only the really important things come to mind. 
 
ALSO fun fact everyone! Exactly 25 years ago, TO THE DAY my mom returned home from her mission in St. Louis Missouri! The day that she ended her mission is the day that I officially begin mine. There is no such thing as coincidences, people. I am so thankful that I am serving a mission at this time, when I needed it the most. 
 
Thank you for all your love, letters, emails, packages, and prayers. I am truly overwhelmed by the many people in my life who have shown so much support, I love you all beyond words can describe. 
 
Quote of the week: "The most satisfying experience I have is to see what this gospel does for people. It gives them a new outlook on life. It gives them a perspective that they have never felt before. It raises their sights to things noble and divine. Something happens to them that is miraculous to behold. They look to Christ and come alive” - Gordon B Hinkley

All my love,
Sister Yocum
 
My mom sent me this today, and I need you all to look at it and appreciate what a babe my mom was (and is).
We even have a red color scheme going on, I love it.

Someone in the airport knew who our mission president was and sent them this picture of us while we were in the airport! iiiiiiit's a smaaaaaall (mormon) woooorld aaaafter aaaaall!
 
 


Spontaneously and completely by coincidence ran into my older brother, Parker!!
I didn't even email him to meet me at this exact specific location at 4:45 or anything!!
Completely by surprise, wow!! Crazy!!!


Last night we said goodbye to the Elders from our district and I'm still a little sad about it.
 I miss those nerds so much. But they're gonna be fantastic missionaries in Atlanta / DC North!!!

 

We got matching Jersey shirts. You can be jealous. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment