Tuesday, September 12, 2017

"Women are Dirt"

The view from my classroom

*read in Spongebob narrator voice* aaaaaaah, uhnuzzer week in da MTC. 
Okay, I'm sorry that all the openings to my letters are really dumb, but at least I don't lie to you all and say that I got reassigned speaking Korean like one of the Elders in my district did in his weekly letter. So now that that is put into perspective, hopefully that makes my dumb openings a little more tolerable.

I am convinced that being in the MTC is like being in a weird time warp. In some ways, it feels like I haven't been here very long and the weeks fly by, but then when I think of all the things that have happened it seems like I've been here for ages. That being said, a lot has happened this week, so let's get down to business. (to defeat the huns)


The District! Sisters left to right: Wagner, Hunter, Yocum (lol), Stout, Bates, Harris.
Elders left to right: Seamons, Buckner, Spector, White, Hart, Johnson, Schow, Vorwaller, Allredge, Mansell

So this email will consist of 3 sections: quotes, funny stories, and spiritual matters. But before I get into that, I guess I just wanted to say that although I love telling you all about my experiences here in the MTC, I really hope that my stories don't give the impression that I am here at almost like a summer camp or something and just goofing off. Being in the MTC is a lot of hard work. It is literally a training center for me to learn and prepare. And I can't express enough how thankful I am for the things that I have learned here! The countless hours I have spent in classrooms being taught, teaching lessons myself, and studying have helped me immensely. Truly, the majority of my day is spent reading and studying and learning -- but of course, the funny stories always make all the in between stuff more enjoyable. That being said, let's do this.

Best Quotes:
-    "So, imagine it like this. Women are dirt" - Brother Abadillo [while trying to explain what it means to "begat", our teacher explained it in terms that women conceive, but man begat. While trying to explain this further, he got cut off from us laughing so hard. But just to clarify, Brother Abadillo respects women, and doesn't think that they are dirt]
-     [someone in the district talking about how people would always mispronounce their name] "Yeah, people would always mispronounce my name too. They would shove me on the ground and call me "Nerd" like come on, that isn't even close to Jared" - Elder Spector
-     [some Elders were talking about some things that they probably shouldn't have, and Elder Seamons immediately covered his ears and chanted "Happy thoughts, pure thoughts, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus." It was pretty funny just because it was so unexpected, but it was also a good reminder to all of us. 
-     [upon seeing an empty wheelchair positioned at the top of the stairs] "This has either been a terrible accident or a miracle" - Sister Wagner
-    "Faith in Jesus Christ can turn monotony into a symphony of joy"


Stories
 - During breakfast, the Elders were telling me how they had an arm wrestling tournment and Elder Seamons crushed them all....they were all a little surprised but also highly impressed. They suggested that I try to arm wrestle him too but I knew that there was no way that I could win because I am a WEENIE and have no upper body strength, so I said that I would do it only if I could use both arms.....he still beat me. Honestly, it was really embarrassing. Elder Seamons loving told me "Don't worry Sister Yocum, Ether 12:27". Thanks, Elder. 
 - Sister Hunter and I switched our name tags during lunch one day just to see if anyone would notice. While I was walking with my tray, this random Elder stopped me and said "Sister, you have the COOLEST last name! My first name is Hunter!" I was seriously SO confused, but I finally looked down at my name tag and realized what he was talking about. I just kind of laughed and told him how much I love having the last name Hunter and that it was basically the best thing ever. I felt guilty lying to him but I would have felt more guilty trying to explain to him that my companion and I traded our name tags.....so what is the more evil wrong here, come on.
 - Elder Schow asked the Sisters "would you be surprised if I told you I've gained 10 pounds since being here?" I jokingly looked him up and down and said "No, not really". He playfully kinda shoved me for being a punk and the other Elders were all like "Woah woah woah, Elder be nice to Sister Yocum you'll break her" and they were all joking that I would have a huge bruise or something from his shove. So then the sisters decided it would be funny if I showed up at lunch with a bunch of bandages and a thermometer and ridiculous things like that. Anyways, when I hobbled over to our table they all started laughing and giving Schow a hard time. It was honestly really stupid and I looked so ridiculous, but I thought it was hilarious. I'll attach a photo below so you can see my pathetic-ness.
 

The bandaid on top of the wrap always gets me.
 - My district discovered that if you replace the vowels in people's names with "oob", it creates some hilarious results. Some of my personal favorites include: Tyloobr Boobcknoobr, Chroobs Hoobrt, and Broobnwoobn Boobtoobs. Yes, I have the humor of a 14 year old boy. And yes, I laughed at these names for a solid 5 minutes. 

Spiriual Experience: 
 - My teacher, Brother Abadillo, is one of the most incredible and inspirational people I have ever met. His knowledge of the gospel is unlike anything I've ever seen, and he is always able to answer any questions we have, while also explaining them in a way that we can understand. Our district has lovingly nicknamed him "The Wizard". Anyways, a few days ago he asked us to pair up with someone who wasn't our companion, and receive revelation for that person. I was seriously freaking out, I was so nervous and felt like I wouldn't be able to it. But this whole week we've been really focusing on being able to feel the spirit and listen to its promptings as we teach, so that gave me a little bit of confidence. He had us take a few minutes to pray and read our scriptures and really think about the person we were talking to, and allow the spirit to work through us. I said a prayer to know what it was that she needed to hear, and to be able to see her the way that Heavenly Father sees her. Once I started talking to Sister Stout, I immediately felt overwhelmed with love for her, and all these thoughts and impressions came to my head of what I needed to say. I honestly don't really remember what I said, but I do remember looking at her with tears welling up in her eyes, and her just saying "Thank you, I really needed to hear that". When it was her turn to talk to me, she was kind of quiet for a moment. Eventually she looked at me and said "Olivia," and then kind of laughed and corrected herself by addressing me as "Sister Yocum". She then told me all these ideas and insights that addressed some problems I had been having, and she helped me feel so much love and understanding. Afterward she confessed that she didn't even know that Olivia was my name, just that she had maybe heard it in passing. I know that it might sound crazy, but I know that what she said was revelation meant for me.
 

I was trying to take a nice photo of the temple and some
random girl jumped in front of the camera.....the audacity

I know that my Heavenly Father knows and loves me. I know that He literally knows me by name, and this experience confirmed that for me! He knows about my struggles, my shortcomings, my fears, and He knows how to comfort me. I just have to turn to Him and allow Him to do that. I was so thankful that He was able to work through Sister Stout to give me that confirmation, and I am so thankful for the knowledge that this gospel has given me. 

There is a talk that I read this week by Dieter F. Uchtdorf that reads, "Our Savior knows and loves us. He knows when we are lost, and He knows where we are. He knows your grief, your fears, and what you're struggling with. God sees us as we truly are - and he sees us worthy to rescue. You may feel that your life is in ruins. You may have sinned. You may be afraid, angry, grieving, or tortured by doubt. But just as the Good Shepherd finds His lost sheep, if you will only lift up your hearts to the Savior of the world, He will find you. He will rescue you. He will lift you up and place you on His shoulders. He will carry you home. We can have confidence and trust that our loving Heavenly Father can and will rebuild us. His plan is to build us into something far greater than what we were - far greater than what we can ever imagine. With each step of faith on the path of discipleship, we grow into the beings of eternal glory and infinite joy we were designed to become."

I know this is true. I can't even begin to express how much this gospel means to me. I feel so lucky to have the chance to tell people about it, and hopefully share the happiness that it has brought in my life. 

Alma 5:48-49: 
     48. And moreover, I say unto you that I know of myself that whatsoever I shall say unto you, concerning that which is to come, it true; and I say unto you, that I know that Jesus Christ [has] come, the Son, the Only Begotten of the Father, full of grace, and mercy, and truth. And behold, it is He that cometh to take away the sins of the world, yea, the sins of every man who steadfastly believeth on his name.
     49. And now I say unto you that this is the order after which I am called, yea, to preach unto my beloved brethren, yea, and every one that dwelleth in [New Jersey]; yea, to preach unto all, both old and young, both bond and free; yea, I say unto you the aged, and also the middle aged, and the rising generation; yea, to cry unto them that they must repent and be born again.

Thank you for your prayers, love, and support. I promise you that I can feel it. Also, thanks for taking the time to read this ridiculously long letter.

All my love,
Soobstoobr Yoobcoobm
 

Sisters study session! We read Alma 32, I would highly recommend




E Seamons and E Buckner were planning a lesson and we decided to come distract -- I  mean help -- them





 

No comments:

Post a Comment