Monday, October 2, 2017

Weave Parties, Anti-Rum Raps, and Answers to Prayer!



The other new missionaries who came out to New Jersey! What a good lookin crew.

Well friends, I have officially been out on a mission for a MONTH! That is insane! In some ways, it feels like I just left, yet in other ways it feels like I've been here for an eternity. But honestly, I am learning SO much, and feel like I am changing a lot too....hopefully, for the better. But truly, I love being a missionary and I wouldn't change it for the world. Alright, that being said, let's get into the details of yet another fantastic week full of studying, teaching, and feeling awkward! Honestly, approximately 83% of missionary work is just feeling awkward, but you just need to embrace it and tell yourself that it will later make a great story. At least, that's what I do. Anyways, here are the highlights of the week!

- I was in Seacaucus for a day on exchange with Sister Anderson! It is a walking area and I was a FOOL and wore a long thick dress so I was dying of heat. That was mistake #1. Mistake #2 is that I wore my shoes that aren't super broken in yet, so I got some gnarly blisters. I am honestly so #blessed to have a car in Maplewood and I didn't fully appreciate it until now. But the best part of the day is that we walked to see the New York skyline! It was so gorgeous and maybe possibly worth my blisters. Also one of the investigators that we taught, Eric, wrote me a rap?? It was based on my last name, so he had some ridiculous rhymes. Some of my favorites include: "Don't drink rum" and "2 plus 2, what's the sum?". Yikes.

- I might be a bridesmaid??? Judith and Ralph are planning their wedding and said that they would love if Sister Phillips and I would be bridesmaids, but we'll see if that happens. I'll keep you all updated.

- ROBERT. This guy is incredible, and I still can't believe that he is actually real. The Sisters who were here before us found him on Facebook and met once or twice, but that was about it. When we first met he told us he was agnostic, but open to the possibility that God existed. We had a quick lesson and invited him to read out of the Book of Mormon in Alma 22, and set up an appointment for Sunday. The next day he messaged us on Facebook and said "I know that we aren't supposed to meet again until Sunday, but is there any way that we can meet tonight? I have a lot of questions and would really like to discuss the chapter with you both." WHAT?! We were so excited. Normally we have to practically beg people to let us teach them, so I couldn't believe that he was setting up his own appointment. We discussed the chapter and he had so many great insights and thoughts and it was so interesting talking to him about it and get an outsider perspective. We gave him another chapter to read, and invited him to watch General Conference with us. He came and BROUGHT A FRIEND and basically I'm really excited.

- We saw this guy lifting a bunch of boxes into the back of a truck and asked if he needed any help. Apparently, this woman, his wife's friend, owns a salon and was doing a hair show this weekend. She eventually came outside and gave us a flier for it, with such exciting events as "Weave Party", "Braid Your Business" and "Rep 'Yo Skool" competitions. She said that since we were so nice in helping, we could get the 2 day admission fee for the sweet deal of $60 instead of $75. So that was pretty exciting, even though we sadly could not attend.

- And of course, General Conference was a definite highlight. For those of you who don't know what general conference is, basically twice a year we get to hear talks and messages from the leaders of our church. all of the talks are incredible, and offer so much guidance and advice, and address problems that we face today. It is the coolest thing ever, and regardless of if you are Mormon or not, I would highly recommend.

New York City Skyline


I had a pretty cool experience this week that I would like to share. So, basically every missionary lesson is centered on the truth that God, our Heavenly Father, loves us and is aware of us. We were talking to this one lady about this concept and she was just amazed at the thought that God knew her personally and knew about her struggles and shortcomings. She kept asking us, "but how do you know??" Since a young age I've always known this and have been able to feel of His love in my own simple ways, but a few days ago (after talking to that lady) I had an impression that I should pray and ask if He truly is aware of me. So, I prayed. Afterward, I had this feeling of peace and love and warmth, but that was about it. Nothing super crazy. I assumed that that was my answer, but a few days ago, I received another answer. It came through general conference.

The man who gave the opening prayer referenced a relatively obscure scripture in Doctrine and Covenants that I studied on a whim the day before. One of the speakers quoted a scripture that I had just written on a sticky note and put up on my desk because I loved it so much. In between conference sessions, Sister Phillips and I visited some member families and gave them a spiritual thought, and a speaker used the exact same scripture I had used literally an hour before. One speaker quoted a scripture from a chapter we assigned Robert to read, and he looked at us all wide eyed because he recognized it. One speaker quoted President Monson's talk from last conference, "Love, Kindness, and Charity", the one I based my farewell talk on -- the one that I read to Sister Phillips earlier that morning because she was asked to give a training on charity. One of the speakers read a series of scriptures that was in a missionary booklet that we read the day before in companionship study. Someone told the exact same story that was told to us by a devotional speaker in the MTC, a speaker who knew both my parents personally.

 Now, I recognize that I'm at a point in my life where I am studying the scriptures and reading them more than I ever have in my life. And I know that it's very possible that all those scriptures and stories are just well known and classic conference scriptures to use, but I choose to believe that they were a simple answer to prayer. God knows about and is aware of Sister Yocum in Maplewood, New Jersey. He knows that I am working really hard, studying a lot, and trying to do my best as a missionary. And those few and simple reminders helped confirm that for me.

The Lord is in the details of our lives, we just have to choose to see it. I know that as we turn to Him, our lives will be blessed. He wants to help us! We just need to be willing to trust in Him.

I love you all! Reread those conference talks, and email me your favorite quotes. I would love it so much :')

Sister Yocum

(Where ya From? Sister Yocum, Wanna Hum? Sister Yocum, Don't be a Bum)

No comments:

Post a Comment