![]() |
| Sister Klusey fed all 6 of us missionaries this week, she is the real MVP. Love her and Anne-Marie so much!! |
Alright people, this email is going to be kind of a mess, just because I really don't have much time, and therefore, will not be able to carefully craft my emails as I usually do. Sorry to my fans out there. LET'S ROLL!
A list of things I learned this week:
1. In New Jersey, the night before Halloween is a time for kids to run around and be hoodlums and cause mischief. Rightfully so, this is called "Mischief Night," and because of it all the missionaries had to be inside by 6 PM. Sister Phillips and I spent the night watching the addiction recovery videos that are on the gospel library app. You may laugh at us for this, but these videos are actually really well done, I would highly recommend.
2. Kids don't really go trick or treating in New Jersey. Because of this, Sister Phillips and I have eaten a lot of Halloween themed rice krispy treats. Missionaries also had to be inside by 6 on Halloween night....the one time it is actually socially acceptable to knock on strangers doors, and we aren't even allowed to.
![]() |
| Zone P-Day for Halloween! Sister Phillips and I look like ballers with our Halloween costumes, we know |
3. Online shopping, and modest typical Utah stores (AKA Called to Surf) are a lifesaver. I finally got my bridesmaid dress for Judith's wedding! I finally said yes to the dress, you guys!!
4. You know that couple I was talking about last week, Juanita and Pierre? Well, apparently Pierre is actually named Gramanuel? That was a little confusing to find out, but he is still awesome and I am still super excited to continue teaching them.
![]() |
| Gramanuel (Pierre?) and Juanita. They are seriously the COOLEST |
5. Sister Phillips and I are not very good at planning birthday parties. Our investigator Kimberly turned 18 the other day, and she has been living in the US on her own since she was 16. She has had a pretty crazy life, and told us that she wasn't looking forward to her birthday because she doesn't have anyone to celebrate with....so we threw her a party. Honestly, it was pretty lame, but we could tell that she appreciated the thought.
6. The Lord works in mysterious ways.....like, giving both you and your companion personal revelation to throw a bridal shower party. One morning during exercise time, I started to tell Sister Phillips about the dream I had the night before, which is weird, because I don't usually do that. Anyway, I say, "Last night I had this really weird dream where I was at a bridal shower and --" before I could even finish, she cuts me off and exclaims, "Seriously??!" She then explains that the night before, she was praying about how we could help Judith with the wedding, and she had the thought to throw a bridal shower. However, she kind of dismissed the thought (because it honestly sounds kind of crazy), but she thought it was so insane that we both had the thought, only it came to us each in different ways. So, we decided to act in faith and get in contact with her sister, Kelliede, to help us. She was so excited that we called her, she said that she had been wanting to do something for her, but didn't know how. Anyways, we will keep you all posted on this.
7. People from Haiti have no idea what a potluck is. And when you try to explain what it is, they will nod thoughtfully, take out a notebook, write "POTLUCK" in big letters, and underline it 3 times. Kelliede is seriously the cutest, oh my.
8. Apparently people think that Mormons wear chastity belts? In care you were wondering, no we do not. We had the pleasure of explaining that to Paul. Ya know, high as a kite Paul? He is really quite the character.
9. Of all the crazy accents I have heard since being here, the most surprising has been an Alabaman accent. I have been so used to hearing Nigerian, Kenyan, and Haitian accents, that a southern accent was so surprising and caught me so off guard.
As always, I am so thankful for the opportunity that I have to serve as a missionary. I love this gospel, and the true light that it can bring to people's lives. I feel so honored to be able to share that with the people of New Jersey. I love you all, thank you for the support and prayers!
Love,
Sister Yocum
1. Sister Klusey fed all 6 of us missionaries this week, she is the real MVP. Love her and Anne-Marie so much!!
2. Zone P-Day for Halloween! Sister Phillips and I look like ballers with our Halloween costumes, we know
3. Gramanuel (Pierre?) and Juanita. They are seriously the COOLEST




No comments:
Post a Comment