So sorry about the slight delay in my email this week, my P-day got moved due to the fact that we went to the MANHATTAN TEMPLE! As you can imagine, it was incredible and I feel so blessed to be so close to such an awesome place. The thing that was the most amazing to me was the difference between the craziness of the city outside and then immediate calmness and peace that came once you stepped inside of the temple. I couldn't believe how extreme the difference was. Anyway, it was such an incredible experience, one that I will not soon forget! Take advantage of the temple, if you haven't gone in a while, make it a priority!!
By far, the highlight of the week was RALPH'S BAPTISM!! It was seriously such an incredible day, I felt like I was walking on clouds. It is difficult to describe the pure joy I felt that entire day from being apart of the wonderful day for both Ralph and his family. It really turned out beautifully, despite us forgetting to take into account how long it takes to fill up the font....but luckily, thanks to a hose, lots of buckets, 6 barefoot missionaries running back and forth on a wet carpet, and basically reenacting the one Mickey Mouse sorcerer scene in Fantasia 2000 (you know the one I am talking about), everything worked out. At least we learned our lesson just in time for Kimberly's baptism next week ;-)
There were two experiences this week that were perfect examples of what we like to call "Divine Design".
For those of you who do not know, I took 4 years of American Sign Language in high school. This last week my zone leaders texted everyone in our zone asking if anyone knew sign language, and I was the only one who did. There were some elders in another zone who had been teaching a deaf man named Fred, and needed some help with translation, so they told me to give them a call. I was a little nervous, just because like I know sign language but not enough to teach the gospel?? Even though I was a little hesitant I give them a call, and we find out that they are serving in Tom's River, an area that Sister Phillips had served in previously.....an area where SHE had taught a deaf woman named Frida!! So crazy, right? Fred and Frida. So she knew exactly who to talk to to ask for help with translating and all of that. I thought that this experience was so crazy just because everything lined up so perfectly. The fact that I knew sign language and was told to call those elders, the fact that my companion had previously served in that exact area, the fact that she had already gone through the process of finding a translator for a deaf investigator. Truly it was all put together by divine design! The Lord works in mysterious ways, people.
Another miracle of the week. I was on an exchange and it was my first time leading out in Maplewood. We went to a Supremo to go contacting, and right as we were about to leave, I recognize someone from out of the corner of my eye....someone that I had met the literal first week in the mission field in a Dominoes. So, back story: we talked to this guy while we were waiting for our food, and the whole time he was freaking out about the things we were teaching him. He kept exclaiming over and over "HOW have I never heard of you guys??". We gave him the elders number (since he technically lived in their area) but we never really heard if anything came from it. Anyways, so when I see him in Supremo I start talking to him and luckily he recognized me. He asks how I was doing, and I guess with the shock of seeing him again I didn't even think to ask if he ever got in contact with the Elders to teach him the lessons. So we have a short conversation and we left. Right after, I called the elders to see if they ever met with him and they said they never did. I felt so dumb that I didn't think to ask him for his name or number, and as we were driving away I start telling Sister Thomas how I wish I had asked him for his contact information. But, lo and behold, RIGHT as I said that I see him AGAIN, walking out of the back door of the store EXACTLY where we were driving past. I practically jump out of the moving car and ask him if he ever got in contact with the Elders, and told me that he had lost the paper with their number that we gave him. So I gave him their number again, I got his name and number, and he told me that he was really glad that he ran into me again. I was very thankful for the second chance that I had to get Jeremy's number and pass on the information to the Elders.
I want to testify that the Lord is in the details of our lives. I know that I have written about this subject before, but I believe in it so strongly. He truly is aware of each of us, and as we strive to see the ways which He plays a role in our lives, we will be blessed.
![]() |
I hope that you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving, I know that I sure did. I am thankful for you all, all year long....but especially on Thanksgiving. I love you all, thank you for your support and prayers.
Sister Yo
(apparently it is very difficult to pronounce "Yocum" if you are Haitian, so that is what most people have been calling me lately)





No comments:
Post a Comment