Hello everyone, we have lots to discuss today! And we took a 2 hour nap and the grocery store was insane so we don't have a whole lot of time...soooooo here are some updates, super speed round style!
My new companion is Sister Williams! She is from Queen Creek, Arizona! We have pretty much the exact same sense of humor, and she's hilarious (obviously). She is a licensed cosmetologist, and actually was kind enough to cut my hair earlier today! She is a literal ball of energy, and can talk to anyone -- and she does! She loves New Jersey and is amazed by all the people and places. We've been keeping a list of all the countries we meet people from...a few we got this week were Barbados, United Kingdom, Egypt, China, Poland, Brazil, and Ukraine! Seriously, New Jersey is so cool. And so is Sister Williams. I feel so blessed to be her companion!!
Sooo, updates on the area. There's a part member family that we've been meeting with for a couple of months now. The mom is a member from the Dominican Republic, and they have 2 kids. WELL, the in-laws are in town this week and they want their 9 year old daughter Ileany to get baptized ASAP...so we've been teaching her pretty much every other day to get her ready for her baptism next week! Wild! So that is fun ahaha. Please pray that everything will go smoothly!
Here are some events and stories from the week!
-- One of our first days together we were going out for the evening and I accidentally locked our keys inside the apartment...I was so annoyed with myself and felt so dumb. So, we had to call the Senior couple who have a copy of the apartment key and they said it would take them an hour to get there. So we prayed to know what we should do and felt like we needed to knock in our apartment complex. Me personally, I'm always pretty nervous to do that just because I don't like people knowing there we live and I've heard stories of missionaries getting stalked and weird things like that--but maybe I'm just paranoid. Anyways, we go knocking and meet Emma! She's read the Book of Mormon before and used to take lessons from the missionaries before she moved to New Jersey. It's been a few years now, and she had a million questions for us. She's so cool, and we are meeting with her again tomorrow!! Even when we mess up, the Lord consecrates our efforts for good. Oh also once the Senior couple finally got there they gave us cupcakes?? Bahah what a mixed up world we live in, why are we so blessed?
-- We bought this huge tub of Christmas Candies and stapled a bunch of them to #LightTheWorld cards and have been handing them out (literally) like candy. We keep joking that we're those weirdos that parents warn their kids to not take candy from, lol. But we've had some really cool experiences from it and have met a whole bunch of people and gotten a lot of phone numbers. Christmas is such a fun time to be a missionary!! Now we're trying to brainstorm ways to use candy all throughout the year..."Hey, could we give you a Saint Patrick's Day Candy?!" bahah, just kidding
-- The other day we were doing role plays and I felt like we needed to practice what to say in extreme situations, like if someone starts yelling at us or things like that. And lo and behold, yesterday we met a very uninformed man who was very passionate about us being deceived. So that was super fun! Ahaha and it might sound crazy, but I just really felt like we were meant to meet that man, and I was grateful that we had been (sorta) prepared for it. Sister Williams was amazed though, "At the time I thought it was weird that we were practicing that kind of situation, but it actually happened!! You're inspired!" haha.
-- We stopped by a family we met last week and no one answered. As we were walking to the other side of the complex, I look back at the apartment and see an open window and a little head inside. I realized it was the dad of that family so I say hi, and he looked absolutely mortified that we could see him. We soon realized he was in the shower..he said a quick hi and slammed the window shut, we were dying. Oh the wonders!
Well, I just wanted to talk about how thankful I am for this Christmas season. It has been such a blessing to focus on my Savior in such a specific and dedicated way as I look to share the message of peace and the gospel of Jesus Christ with others.
"To those who deck the halls and those who pace the halls. To those visiting family, and those missing family. To those looking at lights, and those looking for the light...He was born for you." Jesus Christ was born to save us, and He is with us in every trial, heart ache, and disappointment. His life gives us hope and purpose to our own. Remember that, and look for ways to bring Him more fully into your life. I promise that you will be blessed by it! Love you all and hope you have a happy and safe holiday. Merry Christmas!
Also, PS I might be sending a Christmas music video next week so be on the look out for that.
Love,
Sister Yocum all ye Faithful
1. These cute members had their children dress up as Santa and elves and brought us little stockings. And later that night we had a nerf war, it was legendary
2. Street contacting in South river and handing out Christmas Candies
3. After I locked us out, classic
4. Dinner with the Elders
5. Get this!! The elders asked if we had any copies so the Book of Mormon or pamphlets in Chinese, and we actually did!! And THEN later that night we met a Chinese woman and got to give her a pamphlet. Crazy stuff
6. My cute comp
7. Meringue from cute little polish shop
8. Christmas corner, we are PUMPED
9. Christmas candy stapling party









No comments:
Post a Comment