Monday, January 28, 2019

"You Girls Nuns or Somethin?"

Hey everybody! So, good news, I haven't frozen yet. And honestly it hasn't really been that cold ahaha I'm just being dramatic. So what's new. But, word on he street is, it's gonna snow this next week. So I will update later.

Anyways, it's been a good week! We had our interviews with President, met a wicken named Fred (who had a wife who was a witch), got these cool braille music theory papers from a member, gave a copy of the Book of Mormon to our Dunkin Donut's cashier friend we always see, used our 80's music knowledge to contact someone, attended a baptism for the Elder's friend Juan, taught the restoration to some guys in a barber shop, had a surprisingly awesome video chat lesson with this Facebook guy who I thought was creepy at first lol, Sister Williams ate crab, mushroom, and tomatoes which was a big accomplishment, and we both had a minor allergic reaction from dinner at a members home. Good stuff!!

I wanted to talk a bit about the Christ-like attribute of charity. We all know it's important, without it we are nothing, it never faileth, all that good stuff. This week we were studying it together as a companionship and I was just thinking a lot how charity isn't just something we do but it is who we are. And when we truly have charity and love toward God, ourselves, and our fellow man, all other attributes seem to fall into place. If we love others, we are patient with them. When we love God we are humble and trust in Him, we are obedient and diligent in keeping his commandments. When we love ourselves, we are virtuous and strive to increase our knowledge and abilities. The list goes on! Anyway, we are told in the scriptures that to develop this kind of love, we must "pray with all the energy of heart". And personally, I've always heard that but never really done it consistently. So this week, Sister Williams and I decided to actually do it!! In every single prayer (our morning, closing and opening for studies, meals, before getting out of the car, comp prayers, and every other one in between) we would pray for charity.

Honestly, I feel like my heart has doubled in size this week. I think that I've been able to truly see others as children of God who I want to help and not random people that I have to talk to. There are still rejections, still people who can be rude, but I feel like the way I see people how slowly changed. I've been able to understand more about their situations and having more patience. Also, it's really helped us to recognize moments when we don't have charity towards others. But of course, it doesn't come all at once. The fact that we must pray for it with "all the energy of heart" tells me that it takes a lot of effort, and isn't necessarily an easy thing to do. But I also know that every step we take toward self betterment is one that is recognized and appreciated by our Father in Heaven.

Oh, and subject line: one of my favorite things from the week was going to the AA meeting again. The first time we went we had to leave early for an appointment, but this time we stayed and got to talk with some of the people. Seriously, they are some of the kindest people I've ever met, and all seemed so glad to see us there again. I was actually pretty surprised by how cool everyone was ahah but they all asked us about what we do as missionaries and said they had a lot of respect for us and what we do. But also pretty much everyone asked us if we were Nuns haha so that was fun, and became out favorite quote. But after that meeting I just felt like my heart was swelling for these wonderful people, and being able to see them as God does. It was a really wonderful experience, and I hope that more will continue to happen.


Well, this week I want to challenge you all to make a conscious effort to pray for charity. I promise you that you will feel happier as you


do! Let me know how it goes :')
LOVE LOVE LOVE,


Sister Yocum





No comments:

Post a Comment