Well, here we are. My final email as a full time missionary! WHEW, what a ride!! Thank you all for following me through it all -- for your support, prayers, letters, love, and reading (or not reading) these emails. It really means the world, and I appreciate you all!
ALSO if you aren't sick of hearing me talk about my mission, you are all hereby invited to my homecoming talk! It's going to be on Sunday, March 24th at 32472 Pauba Rd in Temecula CA. It starts at 9 AM.
Here are some of the highlights of the week: all the missionaries in my district worked together to do a combined ward youth activity, the ward celebrated my birthday with an international dinner (jk), I was in a Trio for the day, painted some nails at an old folks home, and found out that SISTER WILLIAMS IS TRAINING!! She's such a boss. She's going to be so awesome. Life is good, friends!!
I've been thinking about what to share in my final email, and I decided to make a list of a few of the things I have learned on my mission. It only felt right that I end with a ridiculously long email, so I hope you all enjoy.
1. This world is full of so many wonderful people, cultures, and places. There is so much to learn!
2. The day of miracles has not ceased. They happen constantly and are all around us, we just have to have faith and recognize them.
3. The gospel of Jesus Christ is perfect and a recipe for a happy life.
4. Fleece lined leggings truly save lives.
5. We can choose to allow our circumstances to make us bitter or better. Similarly, we can become a creator or creature of circumstance.
6. It's no coincidence that members of the church are happier than most.
7. Institute manuals are the absolute COOLEST!
8. Dogs and missionaries really just do not get along....but you can use them to your advantage and use it as an excuse to talk to people walking their dogs.
9. Agency is important, but it can also the worst at times ahaha
10. Writing in a journal can be tedious, but rereading them is so cool.
11. People love to talk about themselves. People also love compliments.
12. Don't take yourself too seriously. Life is better when you can laugh at yourself.
13. There is true power that comes from the Book of Mormon, and it really is the most powerful tool in conversion.
14. People in New Jersey are suspicious of kindness but we should be kind anyways.
15. Not all beaches are equal.
16. Chair dancing is the best workout.
17. Any situation can be turned into a funny story, and life is more fun when you view it as such.
18. It's surprisingly nice to not have to pump your own gas.
19. Continuing revelation is one if the greatest blessings we have, and one of the most amazing things about living on the earth right now.
20. There's a difference between being busy and being purposeful.
21. The Book of Mormon is absolutely without a doubt the word of God.
22. You cannot force anyone to believe.
23. Charity is real and we have to consciously make an effort to develop it. But as we develop this, everything else comes naturally.
24. Consecration and exact obedience require sacrifice but they also bring miracles.
25. Everyone is trying their best with what they've been given.
26. Prayer journals are a great way to recieve personal revelation.
27. There are a lot of creeps on Facebook lol.
28. Watchtower Bible & Tract Society v. Village of Stratton comes in handy when dealing with the police.
29. The commandments are not restrictive but they make us free.
30. It's important to take the time to recognize the Lord's hand in our lives.
31. Everyone has a story and experiences that explain how they became who they are.
32. Family history work is surprisingly fun and isn't just for old people.
33. The Doctrine and Covenants contain the secrets of the universe.
34. Handwritten letters are so fun.
35. Elders are still dumb teenage boys.
36. Patriarchal blessings are truly amazing and we can gain true direction in our lives from them. They should be studied, treasured, and read often.
37. God knows what I need much better than I do.
38. Food unites people.
39. I'm smarter than I think I am.
40. There is so much that I do not know.
41. It doesn't help anyone to sit there and compare, just love.
42. The Lord is ready and willing to help us, we just need to ask.
43. People can be uninformed and it's frustrating.
44. The Jersey Taylor Ham and Pork Roll debate is absolutely ridiculous but also hilarious.
45. It doesn't matter what others think of me, but it matters what I think of them.
46. Country music is actually starting to grow on me...and okay yeah I actually love Nashville Tribute Band, sue me.
47. Technology can and should be used for good.
48. My life would be a lot easier if I knew Spanish.
49. We often don't realize we are being lead by the Spirit until afterwards.
50. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is Christ's restored church.
I will always be grateful for the time I have been able to spend in New Jersey. I think that my feelings regarding my time here can be best described from a scripture in Mosiah 18:
"And now it came to pass that all this was done in [New Jersey], yea, by the waters of [New Jersey], in the forest that was near the waters of [New Jersey]; yea, the place of [New Jersey], how beautiful are they to the eyes of them who there came to the knowledge of their Redeemer; yea, and how blessed are they, for they shall sing to his praise forever."
It is for this reason that New Jersey will always have a special place in my heart. Partly because of the people, the experiences, and the funny stories... But most importantly, because this is where I came to a knowledge of my Redeemer. This is where I truly came to understand the gospel of Jesus Christ and what it means in my own life. I still have a long way to go, but I'm thankful for this time that I've had and the ways I've been able to grow.
It's all so bittersweet. Can't wait to see what my Heavenly Father has in store for me! Love you all, and I will see you soon. God bless!
Signing off,
Sister Yocum
P.S. here are some pics—lots happened this week so it was pretty wild











No comments:
Post a Comment