Monday, January 29, 2018

People of Jersey

People here have the WEIRDEST mailboxes I swear

The finding continues!! Every day this week we went finding for at least a couple of hours. As you might imagine, knocking on a bunch of strangers doors for hours every day leads you to meeting quite a few interesting characters. So for this weeks letter, I wanted to highlight some of the wonderful people I have met during some of our many hours of finding.

- This woman we knocked into opened the door, and before we could even say anything, let us inside. For a second we were a little skeptical because NO ONE ever does that, but she was the sweetest lady ever. We talk to her for a bit, then in walks her retired fireman husband who now spends his time painting, who told us how much he respects us and what we do. A few minutes later he comes back into the room, with a painting of this one church off one of the main roads and tells us that he wants "wonderful religious women of God to have it" so we got a free painting. THEN right before we leave, the lady says that she wants to make a "donation for our cause" and gave us each $5. We tried to refuse and say that we don't accept any money, but she told us to "go treat ourselves to ice cream or something" hahaha. Good ol' Joanne and Wayne, love those guys.

Sister Moss with Joanne and Wayne ahahah i love them

Our painting from Wayne, featuring our various tomato products
given to us a by a member. Lots of strange things given to us for free ahaha

- We were doing the spiritual survey with this one guy named Matt and afterward were talking to him and his wife Amanda for a second. They are newlyweds and made the comment that they "already have 20 kids." We were so confused, and he explained that they own 20 SNAKES. So naturally, we ask to see them, and he lets us inside. It was the craziest thing, they each had their own little cubby and water bowl. I was sooo tempted to ask if I could hold one of the snakes but I chickened out. Or should I say, snaked my way out?? Regardless, it was quite the exciting discovery.

Matt featuring one of his children

- Even down here in Stafford, we were able to meet a Haitian woman!! I was so pumped. She was a bible referral and was so much fun to talk to. I honestly felt like I was back in Maplewood for a second! Her name is Jeffna and surprisingly enough, actually went to a Mormon church with her friend a few times! So crazy.

- While we were knocking one night, someone called the cops on us. Which was a little scary and also a little frustrating, but at least we got to contact the office who came to bust us! He asked to see our licenses...."California and Idaho? What are you guys doing way over here?". Well, Officer Daniels, I am so glad that you asked! Ahaha. So we got to explain to him what we do as missionaries and we had a nice little chat with him. He let us go with a warning, but I am still a little salty towards that old man who I am pretty sure is the one who called. But it is alright, the standard of truth has been erected, no unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing! Lol okay I'll stop now.

We were helping someone move (again) and she gave us her
collectible axes to get in the shed? So, naturally, we took some photos

Anyways, the work here in Stafford is going always great! As demonstrated above, we are meeting tons of wonderful people and I am truly enjoying my time here. I really feel as though I am becoming the person that I was meant to be, and that is such a blessing.


Love you all!
Sister Yocum


The Hillers introduced us to banana bread and nutella and we are fully converted

No comments:

Post a Comment