![]() |
| Heart attacking is our JAM |
A difficult thing that happened this week is that Liza, our investigator who had a baptismal date, no longer wants to meet with us. She and her husband decided that they wanted to return back to their old church. Not gonna lie, when I read that text I could almost physically feel my heart drop. I remember another missionary saying that they hadn't experienced true heartbreak until they became a missionary, and I can testify that it's true. You become so involved in these peoples lives, and want so desperately to help them. And you know exactly the way to do it, but sometimes they just don't want it. More than anything, I guess I would describe it as a type of "Godly sorrow" that I feel for her and her sweet family. She would always tell us how much the gospel has blessed her life -- her marriage, her family, and how glad she was that the missionaries found her. I guess it's just hard to see someone walk away from something that you KNOW can help them and bless them so much. Obviously, she has her freedom to choose and I respect her choice and I still love her, but it's just hard to watch. I am still hopeful that she will remember how the gospel has helped her and find her way back, but I guess I just have to accept that I won't be one of the missionaries who will help her get to that point. Anyways, there is a first hand look into the life of what it's like to be a missionary, I suppose.
On the other end of the spectrum, we experienced a miracle this week.
You remember that family I was telling you all about, who we were (surprisingly) able to talk to during #2HOURPOWER? The ones who literally slammed the door in our face our first week we were here? Well, GUESS WHO CAME TO CHURCH THIS WEEK. The wife of that family!! (Who I might add, is named Lisa). It was truly the greatest surprise ever. All of the branch members were so excited to see her and were all talking and catching up. It was so fun to be able to witness and be a part of. There were some tears shed, and lots of hugs and laughing. She sat by us, and we had a pretty cool little experience with her. She asked us some questions, and we were able to talk to her a little bit about repentance and continually striving to become better. We testified that no matter how far we may think that we have gone, that the Lord's love and mercy is always available to us. It was a very tender moment, and it was so incredible to be a part of.
That's what missionary work is all about!! Sharing a message of hope, peace, and truth with anyone we can. Some people may not accept it, others may have accepted it long ago and since rejected it. Regardless of the situation, the gospel is still there! God's love is always there, whether or not you feel like you deserve it. No matter what point we are at in our lives, I know that we are never too far gone. Repentance and forgiveness is real, and our lives can and will be so much better when we remember and constantly apply it.
Sorry this is one of my more serious emails, but hopefully I got my point across. Also the pictures this week are all ridiculous, so hopefully that evens everything out. I love being a missionary and I love being able to help and serve others. Thank you for all of your love and constant support, I promise you that I can feel it!
Sister Yocum
![]() |
| You know how I feel guilty if I don't buy things after we go contacting in stores? Here is a lovely Little Mermaid water color that I got. |
![]() |
| We found these inflatable fast food items while cleaning, so I decided to create a True American Statue of Liberty costume. |
| The Hillers gave us their old baguettes that they didn't want, and we kinda forgot about them, so after a few days they were ROCK hard. So we had a battle. |





No comments:
Post a Comment