Monday, February 11, 2019

Double Letter Week


So while I was pondering on the events of the week, I realized that a lot of the things that happened had catchy little double letter names, so I decided to roll with it. So, here are some of the events of the week, given in a Fun and Funky double letter arrangement. Let's go!

DIVINE DESIGN (come on, you know I had to):
So, let's back up to a few weeks ago. We meet this lady outside of her sub shop and go back a few days later to give her the copy of the Book of Mormon that she wanted. We go into the restaurant, give her the free copy, and start talking to her and this other guy who's sitting inside. We had a pretty good conversation, mostly just about what we do as missionaries. They had a lot of respect for us and what we do, and at the end of the conversation we asked the guy for number to teach him and he was basically like, uh nah I'm good. But we were like eh alright see you guys later! Well, this past week we were at this apartment complex and across the way we hear his guy on the phone saying that he's locked out. So we were like alright let's talk to him while he's trapped here ahaha (yes, that is our logic). He totally recognizes us, and it was the guy from the sub shop!! It was crazy! He asked us more questions about what we do and we ended up teaching him the restoration while he waited for someone to get him back into his apartment. And this time he gave us her number and said we could come back! God works in mysterious ways, people.

DOUBLE DIVINE DESIGN (is this a triple letter one? Wow):
One of the new Elders in the ward posted free Bibles on the Facebook marketplace, and this lady who lives in our area requested one so we got in contact with her to bring it by. So she gives us her address and we realize she lives in the same building as this less active family that we had an appointment with for later that week. And not only that, she's in the exact same apartment!! Turns out, she's the sister of the member! What?! She's from Nigeria, but is living with her sister for a few months because she just had a baby. So yeah, it was crazy! Again, God works in mysterious ways. Especially considering that we were already going to go to their home later that week, ah. So good.

JAMAICAN JUICE:
Remember those funny Jamaican ladies we met last week? We met with Sherry a few more times this past week and she just cracks me up. In the middle of one of our lessons she asked if we wanted any "Jamaican Juice"....it was surprisingly good. It was carrot juice with milk and nutmeg and things like that haha. She also loves singing songs and talking about God with us, there was this one song that we have been singing all week. Maybe next week I'll send a video of us singing it haha but here are the lyrics.


I love you Jesus, deep down in my heart! (X2.) Talk about, deep, deep, down, down, deep down in my heart. (X2) I hate you Satan, get out of my way! (X2) Talk about get, get, get out, get out of my way! (X2)
What a fun lady. I love being a missionary haha

BASKETBALL BET:
Yesterday we were at this apartment complex and saw some dudes playing basketball and Sister Williams decided that we should go talk to them and make some sort of bet that if she makes a 3 pointer (she played basketball in HS btw) then they would have to listen to our message. I was like uh okay yeah lets do it! So we go over and do some small talk and Sister Williams presents the bet and they asked what we would do if we missed, and we said we would just give them a pamphlet and call it a day. Soooo she takes the shot, and airballed it....so badly. Hahah but the guys were cool so they said she could have 2 more tries, I was praying so hard the entire time. Sadly she didn't make it, so I pulled out the pamphlet and admitted defeat ahah. But we still got to share our message! So, ha! I felt pretty sneaky. Turns out, they both had copies of the Book of Mormon and sorta knew about Joseph Smith, one of them had even watched The Restoration movie on YouTube. We answered some of their questions, got their numbers, and committed them to read the Book of Mormon. Boom, baby.

What a week indeed!! Really, I love being a missionaries and having these types of experiences. I feel so blessed to be here and I can't wait to see what else will happen within the next little while. And last but not least,

TESTIMONY TIME:
Yesterday President Russell M. Nelson went to Arizona and Sister Williams' family all got to hear him speak...understandably, she was pretty jealous that she couldn't be there. Haha. But lately I've been thinking a lot about how amazing it is to live in a time when we have an actual modern day prophet on the earth today. It's such a testimony to me of God's love for us, and His desire to lead us and help us know what we need to do to prepare for the second coming of His Son, Jesus Christ. I know that Russell M Nelson is a prophet of God. I know that it is through him that God leads us today. I am thankful for continuing revelation, and the way that these changes have blessed my life. I know that this is Jesus Christ's church, that He is at the head of it. I consider it one of my greatest blessings to be a part of it, and to have this time to represent my Savior as a missionary. My life is good! We are so blessed! The church is true! Remember that!

Love you all, hope you have a happy week.
Sister Yocum

Kinda weird pics this week ahaha sorry everyone I'll be better next time
1. We went for a walk in the morning and this was our attire. Classic
2. We taught this cute Egyptian family, they didn't know too much English. So we translated the restoration pamphlet from Arabic and followed along as they read. I think they got it? Hahah it was interesting
3. Our district leader asked us to send something in by 9:13, and he said the "closest ones to it will get a prize". So this dumb picture resulted
4. Grainy screenshots from a video of the polar vortex lol
5. Enjoy this sweet pic that is my new Screensaver

Hopefully the video works. The person on the phone is the other Jamaican lady we met named Maxine ahaha love them









No comments:

Post a Comment