Monday, February 18, 2019

Missionary work ain't always a piece of cake. . .

......but sometimes, you do get a lot of pieces of cake. Like this last week, for example! We were given free cake from strangers on three seperate occasions! Haha I'll talk more about that later though. There are more pressing matters to address.

First and foremost, the big announcement for missionary communication with family?! For those of you who don't know....the policy used to be that missionaries could email once a week and Skype 2 times a year. But NOW they gave the option of missionaries calling or skyping home EVERY WEEK. WILD!! Literally I read the email and saw stuff on Facebook and I just couldn't wrap my head around it. Crazy stuff. Luckily though, I'm at a unique point in my mission ahah so don't worry everyone, I'm still going to send out a weekly update for the next couple of weeks. I'm pretty sure I enjoy those more than most people who read them so yeah that's going to happen. Haha. I did get to talk to my family though which was so wonderful.

But seriously, isn't continuing revelation is cool?? It's such a blessing to be living in a day when we have a modern day prophet on the earth. I've been thinking a lot lately about some of the changes that I've been able to experience on my mission -- 2 hour church, Sisters wearing pants, new preach my gospel, no more "investigators", ministering, and even a new prophet! Its so amazing to see how the Lord is able to lead His people. It's amazing that the restoration is an ongoing process, and it is spectacular to watch it all unfold. I'm so thankful to be living in the fullness of times!! Ah!! 

Soooo here are some random stories and such from the week. Honestly, I don't really know what to say in this lol.
- GUESS WHAT. Remember a few weeks ago when I told you all about the hilariously wonderful Linda/Nelda mix up? Well, this last week Nelda got baptized! Isn't that so awesome? Hahah God is too good. He allows us to find those who are ready to receive the gospel, even if it's in crazy ways.

- I went on another exchange to Elizabeth, and I had a sorta dumb idea that I wanted to try out, but it was fun haha. So, I made one of those cootie catcher things? But on the inside it had soul searching questions? Hahah it was so funny, there were all sorts of reactions. Some people were super down and others were just like what? Haha it was wild.
- We stopped by and visited with a less active member and her husband. As we were leaving the husband was like "where are you from again??" "Oh, I'm from Southern California!" "What? I thought you said Massachusetts!" bahah and with it little accent it was so funny, we were dying. The next day I saw a car with a Massachusetts licence plate and was like "oh wow, a California plate! No way!"
Lol. I think I'm so funny

- We taught two count em, TWO lessons in Arabic this last week. We've been meeting these cute Egyptian families lately, it's been fun. Pretty much it was us pulling up the restoration pamphlet in Arabic and using their spouse/child to help translate for us. It's always an adventure. Now we're just trying to get some copies of the Book of Mormon in Arabic.....stay tuned!

Alright, now onto the cake stories, because I know you're all dying to hear about them.

1. We were knocking doors, saw this guy coming out an his apartment. We tried to talk to him, but he very quickly made it very clear that he wasn't interested... "and don't knock on that door either, they aren't interested". Haha eventually a few minutes later he came back carrying something, we asked if it was food or something. He was like oh its a birthday cake! You guys want a slice? Sooo yeah it was fun!
2. While on exchange in Elizabeth, this guy that missionaries used to teach invited us to his daughters birthday party? Haha but his wife seemed pretty confused why we were there and I think she thought we were trying to steal her man or something?? No, we are just here to teach him the gospel, don't worry. Haha I think they sorta liked us by the end of the conversation though.
3. We stopped by a member and could hear people in an apartment across the street singing happy birthday (in Spanish), it sounded like a good time, so we decided to knock on the door ahaha. As you can imagine, they were all pretty confused as well when they opened the door, but they were super cool and eventually let us in and gave us cake once we explained ourselves. Man, there's nothing like being a missionary.

Well, all in all, life is good, being a missionary is hilarious, I love my life. Keep on being awesome, everyone! Remember that God loves you!

You rock in Jesus' name,
(said to us by a cute member we gave a valentine treat to)
Sister Yocum










1. Standing on ghetto boarded walkway, with construction sign, holding cootie catcher, shortly after the birthday party
2. Exchanges aw
3. It snowed but not a lot haha it was fun though
4. Somehow we got put in charge of cleaning the church while on exchange?? So enjoy us cleaning the bathroom with a trash can that had no liner ahahaha
5. Cake from mean man who turned nice
6. Cake with fun Hispanic family
7. Here's Nelda!!! What a cutie

8. My deep questions cooties catcher lol

No comments:

Post a Comment